Superb tomato treatment that acquires a new, sweet and honey texture
Chef: Alberto Chicote
He managed to break new ground and create his own cooking style, mixing different ingredients, flavors and techniques. He now lives in a nightmare in the kitchen and in his new one Yakitoro Restaurant.
- 2 cm chopped seaweed combo
- 10 g of fresh ginger
- 320 g White sugar
- 8 green leaves of sesame or fresh basil
- 500 g tomatoes with stalk.
- Brown sugar
- salt flakes
- 170 cl. liters of water
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets
- 50 cl. soy sauce
- 25 cl. mirim
- 200 cl. Water
- 10 g of dashi nomoto
- 3 cl. soy sauce
- Tomatoes must be prepared in advance. Separate them from the main branch with scissors to avoid losing the handle.
- Scale them in boiling water for 5 seconds. Transfer to ice water to reduce cooking.
- Peel them with lace (a very sharp small knife), being careful not to break the handle.
- Wash the ginger under running cold water and lightly mash it.
- Put the water, ginger, soy sauce and sugar in this order in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Dip tomatoes in boiling syrup (if necessary, make it in two portions). When it starts to boil again, remove them.
- When they all boil, put them on a pan and cover them with boiling syrup. Place a little weight on top, but very carefully so that they are well immersed. Let them trust the syrup for 2 hours.
- After a while, drain the tomatoes and place them on a very fine grid so that they can drain well for another two hours. They must be separated.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven at 100 ° C for about 5 hours. The outer flesh will wrinkle, but not brown.
- Let them sit at room temperature for another 4 hours. Store in the refrigerator. This whole process must be continuous, it cannot be disrupted.
- Remove with a knife and very carefully the upper waist and lower part. Remove the bones from the center of the waist with tweezers very carefully so as not to break the meat.
- Remove the tough skin and cut each fillet into 6 pieces of 1.3 cm, more or less.
- Cut the green leaves of the sisho into very fine julienne
- Cook all ingredients together for a few minutes.
- Strain to prevent the passage of algae. Reserve.
- Place four semi-dried tomatoes on a tray covered with non-stick paper.
- Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle lightly with brown sugar and flake salt.
- Bake for about 4 minutes, as needed to caramelize the sugar. Temperature 2 or 3 minutes.
- Place several portions of mackerel on each plate. Top with a slightly chopped sisho leaf and finish with the tomatoes.
- Garnish with Tensuyu sauce and a rain of extra virgin olive oil.
Note: smoked mackerels are not easy to find. They are distributed by the company Pachi a day, which has its own stores and can be found in some specialized establishments. Nomoto Dashi is a Japanese product made with dried tuna. It is bought in oriental shops. Mirim is a Japanese rice wine. It is also bought in oriental shops. Kombu seaweed is found in supermarkets and gourmet stores
Thanks for reading.