Prendes bean stew
Is this the most famous fabada in Spain? Maybe one of the few that adds fried onions to legumes. What we are sure of is that it is one of the best. The secret of Casa Gerardo is that they use fresh beans. In the recipe, they are used dry because they are the ones that are commonly found in the markets
Chef: Marcos Moran
Marcos is the fifth generation of the saga for hoteliers, but he would not have done anything without the involvement of his father, teacher Pedro Moran. Without forgetting how fabada is prepared, they brought Asturian cuisine into the 21st century. They are a great tandem.
- 3 kg of beans
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 500 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 10 bunches of saffron
- 1/4 onion
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- A good piece of unsalted bacon
- 1 ham
- 10 Asturian sausages
- 8 Asturian sausages
- 1 teaspoon sweet red pepper
- Soak beans in cold water the night before. The proportion of water is three to one, ie nine liters of water for three kilograms of beans.
- The next day, put the beans, bacon and 37.5 cl of oil in a 40 cm saucepan.
- In another saucepan, cook the sausages and frankfurters for 10 minutes to degrease them before adding them to the fabad.
- In a separate bowl, cook the pork shoulder in water to accompany the beans.
- Before you start boiling, you need to foam the beans from the impurities of the legume itself.
- 20 minutes after boiling, prepare a sauce with 1.25 dl of butter, chopped onion and sweet red pepper. Include the fabada with saffron diluted in a little broth. For salt.
- After sautéing, turn off the stove and let the beans rest for a few minutes
- Once the beans have settled, cook slowly for an hour and a half, being careful to add the cold, broth they need, they can never stop being covered.
- Add the accompaniment to cook with the beans.
- Fabada will be ready when the fabes have a full texture, but at the same time creamy and delicate on the palate.
- The broth should be slightly thick; If it is very liquid, it is advisable to pass some beans through the grinder and add them to the stew.
- Serve the beans in a tureen and the accompaniment cut in a separate bowl.
Thanks for reading.
David from 55000 Recipes