Easter stew with chickpeas, spinach and cod
An icon of Lenten cuisine, its predecessors go back to Roman cookbooks, where chickpeas are already appearing. This is the recipe that became popular in cookbooks in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- 600 g chickpeas
- 300 g salted cod
- 250 g spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion
- 2 slices of stale bread
- 1 head of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- several strands of saffron
Easter or vigil stew is a very simple dish to prepare, nutritious and appetizing.
- The day before, soak the chickpeas, covered with warm water, with a teaspoon of salt.
- In another container, desalt the slices Fever, covered with cold water. Store in the refrigerator until the desalination process continues, between 24 and 48 hours, depending on the thickness of the slices. Change the soaking water every eight hours and check the desalination point.
- In a large saucepan, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas. Cover with cold water and cook together with the whole, washed head of garlic and bay leaves. If there are cod bones, put them to cook with chickpeas to give them flavor. If not, you can put a piece and take it out before serving.
- Unless you use a pressure cooker, it will take them about two hours to cook. Check the point from time to time and add water if necessary.
- While in a saucepan of water, cook the eggs for 10 minutes so that they are firm.
- Peel and slice the spinach if they are fresh. If they are frozen, defrost them beforehand so that you do not add water to the stew and drain well.
- In a pan with a little olive oil, fry the slices of bread, remove and save. In the same oil, sauté the peeled and finely chopped onion until it spreads well. Sprinkle with paprika and stir quickly so that the paprika does not burn and take on a bad taste. Add the sliced toasted bread and dip the chickpeas in a little broth in which the saffron strands, preheated in a pan wrapped in aluminum foil, will melt.
- When the chickpeas are tender and the water just covers them, remove the garlic head and bay leaves. Add the cod, cut into 3 cm cubes, and the spinach and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pass the onion, bread and paprika sauce through a food grinder or Chinese and add them to the chickpea stew.
- Chop the boiled egg and sprinkle on top. Serve hot.
Now is your time.
David from 55000 Recipes