This is the recipe for one of the best croquettes in Spain, those of Marisa Sanchez. Today, her son Francis continues to make them as she taught him.
Chef: Francis Paniego
Heir to an important saga for hoteliers, he is the great kitchen innovator in Riohan. He divides his life between Echaurren, the family restaurant in Ezcaray, where he has his restaurant, El portal de Echaurren, and Tondeluna, the gastro bar in Logroño.
- 80 g butter
- 55 g of ham
- 55 g chicken breast
- 90 g flour
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 2 boiled eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 2 eggs broken
- 250 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g Onions
- 40 g. Meat broth or a cube of chicken broth
- 10 g of olive oil
The croquettes at the Echaurren restaurant in Ezcaray (La Rioja) are among the most famous in Spain. For Marissa Sanchez, who invented the recipe that her son Francis Paniego later perfected, the most important thing was to work well with béchamel when hitting the wrist, without looking at the time, forgetting the clock and the rush.
- Cut the onion into pieces and put in the pan with very hot oil
- Put the milk to heat
- When the onion starts to become slightly translucent, add the diced chicken. Add salt and saute.
- We take out the chicken pieces on the table (not onions, it will not be used for anything else)
- For the béchamel: start by slicing the ham and chicken breast
- Put the butter in a saucepan so that it melts over low heat. Add the finely chopped ham and then the chicken breasts. Saute.
- Add the flour little by little and work with the hand stick until there is no raw flavor.
- Include milk in small amounts. The more you work with béchamel, the finer and more homogeneous it will be to make good croquettes, you do not need to be lazy and move your hand well.
- Make sure the béchamel is smooth and light but not clear, it depends on the amount of milk that is added.
- Before finishing the béchamel, add the meat broth.
- Try and correct the salt spot. Add the chopped and crushed boiled eggs.
- Give the béchamel a few more turns and transfer to greased with oil
- When the béchamel dough is cold, shape the croquettes according to the size you want.
- First spread with breadcrumbs, then with a well-beaten egg and go through breadcrumbs again.
- Fry in very hot extra virgin olive oil. Drain on absorbent paper
- Arrange the croquettes on a plate and serve hot.
Recipe by Marisa Sanchez Ehauren
Hotel Echaurren (Ezcaray)
Thanks for reading.